September 27, 2009

A Beautiful and Amazing Talent


Until you participate in a hunt test or field trial or hunt on your own, you really can't appreciate what these dogs have in their blood. Their natural instinct is un-canny. Down right beautiful.

I've seen my own dogs point squirrels :o) and the beauty in their statuesque pose. I marvel that they get "to the point" with no formal training. But to see a dog, fulfill to the fullest, his/her heritage is breathtaking. Honest.

I never gave it much thought before. To me, a hunting dog was a hunting dog, no big deal. I never saw a dog do what he/she was suppose to do in the field. Watching it on TV, which I haven't done, wouldn't be the same. It didn't mean anything to me. Now, I have a real appreciation for their talents and respect what they do. Until you can experience it or see it happening in front of you, you'll never really know.

I love my non-hunting dogs and it doesn't matter to me that they don't hunt. They are complete in my heart for who they are. I love them no less. But I have a new respect for those that have the talent to hunt.

Although I didn't have an interest in doing this, I have to say that I'm glad Lisa had me do it. She saw the talent that Heathcliff had from the beginning and possibly giving him a second chance, with a family that doesn't care he may be a little older. He's by no means done hunting. His run was intense from the minute his leash was off. He never tired for the 15+ minutes he had allocated to him. His recall was amazing, but I knew that from Wauconda dog park of 68 acres. He runs large, covers a lot of ground and checks in or comes when called, every time. He retrieved the birds and brought them back to me. Alive!

To imagine that someone let him go, for what I believe is age, is so sad. The elders teach the young. What a waste of talent. It would take years to teach a young dog all the knowledge he has. The only good part of this sad situation is this, I WILL MAKE SURE HIS NEW PARENTS WILL APPRECIATE AND LOVE HIM FOREVER!